Readings & Resources
Unit 4 Readings
- Liu, Shijuan. (2007). Assessing Online Asynchronous Discussion in Online Courses: An Empirical Study. Technology, Colleges and Community 2007 Proceedings, pp 24-31. (Alternate link)
- Lam, Wing. (2004). Encouraging Online Participation. Journal of Information Systems Education, 15(4), 345-348.
- Note: If you are not part of the RRU Community, please, read the following article instead: Baran, E. & Correia, A. (2009). Student-led facilitation strategies in online discussions. Distance Education, 30(3), 339-361.
- Porto, Stella. (2006). Online Participation as an Instrument of Learning and Assessment. DE Oracle @ UMUC.
- *Please note that this article has some broken links in it but we felt that the content would still be useful.
- Roberts, Tracy. (2010, April). Assessing Online Participation: Exploring the Problem & Possible Solutions (.docx). (White paper)
Tips for Online Success
- Goloboy, J.W. (2003). Top Ten Secrets of Successful Online Educators.
- Smith, M. K. (1999). Reflection, Learning, and Education. In The encyclopedia of informal education.
- Henry, Jim, & Meadows, Jeff. (2008, Winter). An absolutely riveting online course: Nine principles for excellence in web-based teaching. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 34(1).
- Correia, A.P., & Baran, E. (2010). Lessons Learned on Facilitating Asynchronous Discussions for Online Learning. Educação, Formação & Tecnologias, 3(1), 59-67.
Further readings for Unit 4
- Cowley, J., Chanley, S., Downes, S., Holstrom, L., Ressel, D., Siemens, G., & Weisburgh, M. (2002, October 21). Online Facilitation. e-Learn Space