Arts Umbrella animation project: May-June

Arts Umbrella animation project: May-June

by Leslie Bishko -
Number of replies: 0

Meaghan Buckley is an ECUAD student who also teaches dance at Arts Umbrella.  Here is a really great project she needs animators for!  Below is some info on how to contact Meaghen + what she is looking for, and following that is a description of the project.

Meaghan understands how busy everyone is at this time of the semester - she is ok with an initial inquiry contact and expression of interest + online portfolio.

-----

We are pretty open minded about style, but what we would like are short pieces that stand on their own, and which highlight movement.

It would help if the students knew the story of Alice in Wonderland, as well. Perhaps when they apply, they could mention a scene, moment, or character that stands out of the story for them.

We just want to get a bit of a sense of the kind of work they do, and how they would relate to this specific project.

So the application could look like this:

-CV/ (or if they don't have one already, a brief bio would be fine)
-link to online portfolio
-link to specific work or works within the portfolio that would relate to what they would propose to do for Alice
-very short, informal proposal for a scene and why they'd propose it in relation to the dance show (~100 words or less is fine)
(i,e, "The White Rabbit is my favourite character in Alice in Wonderland, I love the way he is always rushing around and I would like to animate a zooming white rabbit to show his anxiety through rapid motion") -- something very simple.

They could send it as a single pdf document or just inline in one email.

The animators are welcome to contact me directly if they have questions. It's probably better if they use my personal email rather than my school email -- it's meaghen@gmail.com.

----

Client name                                         Arts Umbrella Dance

Client contact information                  Meaghen Buckley         meaghen@gmail.com/778.872.7939

Flick Harrison              flick@flickharrison.com

Project title                                         Arts Umbrella Dance Recital – Alice in Wonderland

Project description                               Short (3-10 second) animated transitions on themes, characters, scenes from Alice in Wonderland to be projected between scenes of a children's dance recital, to take place at the Vancouver Playhouse Theatre, June 2014.

Project duration (how long is the completed animation?)

Total of approximately 15 animations, each very short and playing or looping for ~10s between scenes.

Project start date                                 First meeting ideally in April, animation start on or by May 1.

Project delivery date                            June 1.

Animation media                                 Open.

Animation style (links to examples?)               A diversity of visual styles is welcome, as long as it's family-friendly.  The live dance show has very high production values, which could inform your stylistic choices.

Target audience                                    Young dancers & their families

Paid position? (Y/N)                            Y

Artist roles (what positions do you need to fill?)

Animators.