suggested revisions (Glen & Ruth)

suggested revisions (Glen & Ruth)

by Glen Lowry -
Number of replies: 1

Mission:
Emily Carr University of Art + Design is a learning community devoted to excellence and innovation in visual arts, media arts, and design.

Vision: What will be true in 2021

1.    Emily Carr graduates embody trans-disciplinary, inclusive (delete "inclusive" or define?), and socially engaged art and design. We promote creative communities that transform practices of social justice and sustainability. 

2.    We are globally recognized and valued for our ability to support research and prepare graduates who are central to their communities of practice and equipped to influence and shape their fields. Our research and graduate programs ensure that our knowledge is shaping new and emerging practices and scholarship.

3.    Our unique, experiential learning environment fosters creative exploration within a critical, inclusive and engaged community. Our students have full access to trans-disciplinary resources, and our inter-connectivity is constantly creating new possibilities. Our education scholarship is co-created between faculty and students, and demonstrates that our commitment to and respect for indigenous and diverse ways of knowing and unique approach to learning and practice fosters change agency and lifelong learning. (unpack)

4.    We create programming that fully embraces our aspirations and builds learning channels We are sought after by partners from diverse communities and environments for innovative research and art and design-based solutions to complex questions.

Is there a way of thematizing or focusing each of these four point: e.g., approach, external profile, research and pedagogy, and curricula / program development. (Ruth & Glen)

Moderators for this discussion: Bonne Zabolotney and Dr. Ron Burnett

In reply to Glen Lowry

Re: suggested revisions (Glen & Ruth)

by Heather Fitzgerald -

I don't seem to have permission to add a new discussion topic, so I'll just add my thoughts here. I will confess to finding Vision Statements difficult as a genre--they are always so necessarily vague and aspirational that it is difficult to see how the vision will be realized.

But given that part of the purpose of a Vision statement is to focus and motivate, I might consider adding, perhaps in point 1, something about critical thinking. Or about how we want our students to be able to critically question or interrogate received knowledge. Maybe this point seems particularly critical now, in this "post-truth" era. But I think part of what we are trying to do is to challenge students to critically assess and challenge what they have always known, to encourage them to have a broader, deeper, different, etc. perspective on the communities they engage with and the wider world.