reframing questions / commitment (Ruth & Glen)

reframing questions / commitment (Ruth & Glen)

by Glen Lowry -
Number of replies: 2

Alternative Phrasing

Goal 1: recognize the breadth of research practices that define Emily Carr’s unique practice-based, critical approaches to knowledge production:

• Creating opportunities to interrogate innovative thinking about art and design practices through experimentation, dissemination (exhibition, publication, public engagement, or presentation), teaching and learning

45 words

In reply to Glen Lowry

Re: reframing questions / commitment (Ruth & Glen)

by Heather Fitzgerald -

I am not sure which discussion these comments belong in, so forgive me if this makes more work for someone. I like the focus on practice-based research and I like the suggestions for tying this in with curriculum more. I wonder, though, if the emphasis on creating and disseminating research in this current version implies somehow that our research does not participate in other existing forms of research and scholarship?

While research creation is certainly one aspect of the research happening at Emily Carr, I don't think we would want to exclude or discourage other, perhaps more traditional, forms of research. Particularly because these other foms of research often inform and influence the practice-based research within our community. Does that make sense?

Also, I was a little confused in the last point: I initially read that as though it were describing research into pedagogy and curriculum. Which might be something to consider including in any case: the scholarship of teaching and learning is a growing field, and one that could (and hopefully will) become part of our research landscape here.

180 words