thoughts

thoughts

by Heather Fitzgerald -
Number of replies: 0

Hi all,

I can't post questions to the first discussion forum, so I'll post them here.

Thoughts on student-driven learning: such a great concept (though I know it more as student or learner-centred learning). Are we imagining this student-driven learning in curricular as well as extra or co curricular spaces? If so, would it be helpful to bring in the role of faculty in this student-driven learning model? If we are talking about co-creation of learning, who are the collaborators? Students with students? Students with staff / faculty?

Also how do we navigate the murky spaces between students as agents of their own transformation (learning) and students as customers who are "always right"?

Finally, to the point of this discussion topic: we have a lot of meetings here at Emily Carr and there is a lot of talking, both officially and unofficially. But what I often feel we lack is time/space for listening. We talk, but we don't always listen to each other or hear each other. These Moodle forums are an interesting illustration of that: we each get to talk in our turn, but we don't get to listen to one another in a physical active sense.

Finally finally, is there a way that we could build more reflection into our practices here at Emily Carr? We've been talking about the value of being a reflective practitioner as a teacher or an artist or designer. But ironically, because we're all so busy, we rarely have time to reflect on the practices we enact daily in meetings and hallway conversations. Perhaps one way to build a more respectful workplace is to provide opportunities for the kinds of reflection that can help us celebrate what we are doing well and discover what we need to do differently.